Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Archagathus/Onanizer-Split(Review)

When you get an Archagathus split you pretty much know what you are going to get, just their signature style of crushing mince grind. The three Archagathus tracks on this split are further proof of that, fast drumming, muddy guitar/bass, the whole Archagathus sound is present. Their side is pretty solid, the only complaint I have is that the vocals don't really do it for me. I can't really put my finger on it, I love the high parts, but it just seems that the lows are too drawn out. Now on to the next side. Going into this split, I had never heard Onanizer before, so I really didn't know what to expect. While listening to their side I quickly discovered what I had been missing out on. I would best describe Onanizer's sound with one word; intense. It seems that they have taken everything that is great about grindcore and blended it together into something that they can call their own. This stuff is just pure gold. While listening to Onanizer I feel the urge to start punching holes in my wall, and to start violently moshing. The vocals are great, ranging from devastating screams to powerviolenc barks, the instrumentation is superb as well, everything sounds very tight and precise while not losing any intensity. This is a fantastic split, and I highly recommend that instead of just downloading it after reading this review, that you listen to it the way it was meant to be heard on vinyl, by picking up a copy from Pan Del Muerte Records.

FFO: Lt. Dan, Sakatat, Mesrine
Listen to Onanizer here



~Andrew Lipscomb

(Special thanks to Pan Del Muerte Records for the review copy)

2 comments: