Happy Halloween everyone! Today's the day to celebrate all that is creepy, spooky, sick and twisted, and that I think that includes music too. Now very rarely do I creeped out by music, but these select five songs have managed to make my skin crawl everytime I've listened to them.
1. Throbbing Gristle - "Hamburger Lady": This is literally the scariest song I've ever heard, no joke. Throbbing Gristle's droning masterpiece off the album "Sacrifice" takes lyrics from a doctors notes about a women who was treated with 3rd degree burns covering most of her body, who's flesh was described as looking like "hamburger meat". Creepy visual unto itself, but add the tense, industrial drones, Genesis P-Orridge's warbly, buried vocals and a manipulated clarinet cry that I think sounds like the women's screams all makes this track fucking horrifying. Piss your pants here.
2. Suicide - "Frankie Teardrop": Suicide's debut album takes a sharp left turn into mind-fuck-ville with the 10 minute opus "Frankie Teardrop". The lyrics flow like poetry read by a paranoid-schizophrenic telling a story about the murder/suicide of a man and his family. Really unsettling stuff. Listen to this with the lights off and just TRY not to jump at the random screams. Listen here.
3. Chris Vrenna(American McGee's Alice) - "Village of the Doomed": Here's a rather obscure one; the second track off the soundtrack to the cult PC game "American McGee's Alice" is the music that plays for the first time you enter the setting of Wonderland. It's as creepy and wretched as the world you inhabit in the game. Pulsing string sections, creaky music box's, echoy female vocals, it's just spooky. Listen here.
4. Pig Destroyer - "Tickets to the Car Crash": "Prowler in the Yard" is a sick twisted fuck masterpiece, but the lone 39 second track "Tickets to the Car Crash" is the one song out of the whole bunch that continues to give me the willies. The song just sounds chaotic and like it's falling apart, and JR's layered screams add even more disturbing punishment. Listen here.
5. Gaza - "I Don't Care Where I Go When I Die": This song just starts out with a simple nihilistic quote from song unidentified women, and then explodes into tortured screams, blast beats, feedback, eerie guitar noises and bloody chaos. It sounds like massive carnage, it sounds like black metal getting fucked in the ass, it's dark as fuck and I love it. Listen here.