Thursday, August 9, 2012

Bandcamp Artist(s) of The Week: Slave & The Satans


Two bands this time around, not only to make up for last week, but because there's just too many cool bands I want to talk about, and I want to expose them all to you as fast as I can. You can thank me later. First up is a solid powerviolence band from Birmingham, AL. called Slave. They bring absolutely nothing new to the genre, but the songs they write are familiar enough to make their stuff instantly enjoyable for seasoned listeners. A good, semi-lo fi recording, well timed breakdowns, and shouted mid-range vocals, it's all key ingredients for an awesome powerviolence group. The five new songs on their bandcamp are included on their upcoming full-length cassette, and they have an upcoming split with False Light, so get stoked. 




Next up is a project that I have to thank my homie, Ross Gnarly of American Aftermath, for showing me (love you man!). The Satans is a one-man band spearheaded by a Mr. Nikolai Gawin, who some of you might know as the man behind James Doesn't Exist. Straying away from his usual drum machine grind blasting mayhem, The Satans is an exceptionally badass hardcore assault. I may not be a fan of the name, or the album art (and I'm gonna guess that most of you aren't either), but don't let that steer you away from this because it really is an excellent EP. Undoubtably, this is the best and most professional sounding recording that I've heard Nikolai do. The guitars are loud and trebly, the drum programming is excellent, and the whole album just has this constant momentum that keeps this thing engaging and fun the whole way through. And those riffs, goddamn son, those riffs. I can see fans of groups like ranging from Dangers to Every Time I Die digging this. Solid.  



~VII

No comments:

Post a Comment