Thursday, October 4, 2012

Mother Brain - "Straight To Business" Review

There's something just so magical about a tight, concise grindcore record. I love it when a band can fit all they need to say and do in a tidy, brutal 10 minute onslaught. So lets bring in Mother Brain, and their newest EP, "Straight To Business". A rather fitting title since this EP goes right into the head crushing riffs with it's killer intro, and from then on it's just straight brutality. And padding be damned, because this thing had me engaged the whole way through. Brutal, modern grindcore that takes cues from bands like Pig Destroyer and Maruta. Mother Brain is like the sick love baby that was born after a tech-grind hatefuck. If you don't know what I mean by that, basically there are a lot of awesome riffs on here. But it's not like Mother Brains are completely wanky either, the brutality on here is incredible, with the technical guitar flourishes being more like little accents to everything. And the drummer and guitarist just play so well together, little moments like the half-time blasting on "Down The Drain" and the descent into the breakdown on "Old Man"are excellent. Perfectly recorded, and all in packed in the aforementioned 10 minute package. They keep it catchy and they keep it interesting. Great release!



Rating: 8.5/10

~VII

3 comments:

  1. It's become my routine at work to go to your blog to find out what album to download/purchase. This is a KILLER find. One of my favourite new finds since you posted about thedowngoing. Thanks again, OG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Music is alright, but the lyrics are terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to give this a more thorough listen sometime, but I like what I'm hearing. If I was only judging by the Metroid-referencing band name, I would have thought that they were a cybergrind band (and I very rarely do cybergrind bands).

    ReplyDelete