Thursday, October 4, 2012

First Exposure: Zach Ohler (Strong Intention) & Vincent Matthews (Criminal Element, ex-Dying Fetus)


Zach Ohler: Napalm Death - "Scum" 

I was blown away, it was like nothing else I had heard up to that point. 

It still holds up as a classic. It help pave the way for everything that was to come after, and you could still put that record up against anything that is out today. 

I was so much into hardcore/punk and thrash metal at the time, it definitely inspired me in as much as it showed that things can be even more extreme and yet just as killer as everything I heard up until that point.


Vincent Matthews: Napalm Death - "From Enslavement to Obliteration"

When I first heard it I was hooked. The year was 1989. I loved the sound but not too much on the political lyrics but then again politics are the core of punk and grind. My thoughts today on this record still remains the same they took grindcore and put it on the map and no one has yet to outdo this record and so it remains that. This album has inspired me to always think outside the box when it comes to musical taste. This record has spawned a lot a copy cat bands over the years and I truly believe that after the release of enslavement Napalm Death had to change the core of their writing style because at that time the band Terrorizer had released their USA version of grindcore and that as well took me by storm. Both acts inspired me to pick up a mic and scream my ass off.


~Alex Cha

1 comment:

  1. I imagine hearing Scum for the first time was a similar experience to when you first hear something like Altered States...A complete head fuck!!!

    ReplyDelete