Monday, July 4, 2011

Joshua Armijo's Favorite Movies

I recently asked my bud Joshua Armijo to do a post about his favorite movies. He is a rad guy who does some sick album reviews on YouTube, check them out here and he also happens to work in a movie theater.



What I do for a living is I work for an independently owned and operated movie theater called Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, based out of Austin, Texas. I love my job, but to work for a prestigious place like this, you have to also have a deep love for movies and pop culture.
Here's a small list of some of my favorite movies:

1. American Psycho
This is hands down my favorite movie. Based upon the controversial Brett Easton Ellis novel, it follows a man whom by day seems to live the high life as a corporate yuppie who mingles with high cash, business cards, and fancy resturants. But by night he has a mind numbing bloodlust for killing people and hiding his own fears. I can almost say the movie line for line, quote for quote. Christian Bale seems to give Patrick Bateman a creepy quality and an unnerving charm. And not to mention, this is best viewed unrated and uncut.

2. Requiem For A Dream
I'm not into drugs, never have been, never will be. And this movie is further proof why ill never be into drugs. This is the second film from one of my favorite directors, Darren Aronofsky. Another novel based movie, Hubert Selby Jr., this is a cautionary tale about addiction. Interweaving storylines based around a elderly woman who longs to fit into a red dress and stoops to taking diet pills, and eventually becomes addicted to them. And her son who's a nervous wreck who becomes painfully addicted to heroin. And his girlfriend who'll do anything for the taste of both money and drugs. And I mean anything. And his best friend who seems to long for a lost childhood while seeming to make all the wrong choices. The brilliance of this film is the four seasons the film is divided in. And the brilliant Clint Mansell/Kronos Quartet score is mind melting. The psychotic imagery is just as disturbing. This movie is meant to make you feel bad, and overall scare you into believing the pain and sorrow of addiction. Amazing film



3. Bill Cosby, Himself
Now to lighten the mood. This is my favorite comedy from one of my idols and inspirations. The title of the film is as it says it is, just Bill Cosby doing insightful and meaningful stand up. He's painfully funny without ever having to use a curse word, well except for "asshole", but it works so well. His life lessons about being a son, a brother, a husband, a father, and a good person almost tugs at your heartstrings and wants to make you slap your kneecaps off with his genius exxagerations. I have mad respect for this man and his positivity and inspiration.

4. Anvil! The Story Of Anvil
This is one of my all time favorite music documentaries. Obviously, every metal fan now knows who Anvil are, and they have this movie to thank, bringing new fans to this awesome power metal trio. This is a film that is further proof that if you have a dream, and you never give up, dreams can come true, and for Anvil, they are definitely living the dream all over again. Keep On Rockin!



And obviously there's a lot more good movies I love, but I feel this is running on too long, so ill cut it off here. Movies are a wonderful part of life and pop culture. One way or the other, they matter a lot. Until then, Armijo Out :)

~Josh Armijo

No comments:

Post a Comment