Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Meet Yung Flex




Niguel Deloatch also known as Yung Flex and Yung Flex La Flare is a 17-year-old rapper from Newport News, Virginia. Flex is different from other rappers not only does he make art, rap, and produce, he has a real passion for music that you don't always see in the rap scene. He doesn't just want fame and money; he genuinely loves music. Yes, there is a lot of rap metal fusion going on in the underground scene, the difference with flex is he loves metal music and can actually name the samples he uses, he doesn't just want to seem trendy and edgy. With his chokers and color nail polish he's very much not hyper masculine, it's cool though he's like the hood version of Sworn In. What samples from bands such as Mastodon, Slayer, and Knocked Loose Yung Flex's hardcore rap style will sure to have you ready to drop kick someone in the neck.

Q. Chay - Who has influenced you the most outside of rap music?

A. Flex - Probably Jeff Hardy & Marilyn Manson because, in their own ways they express the message to be yourself and express yourself no matter what anyone else thinks

Q. Chay - How did you get into Marilyn Manson and other Nu metal/Industrial metal music?

A. Flex - Mainly through WWE, I've always loved the late 90s Attitude Era since I was little and hearing musicians like Manson and Limp Bizkit and Drowning Pool got me super into those subgenres. Also, a girl I had a crush on in 5th grade put me on to a lot of similar bands like Slipknot, System of a Down, and Papa Roach.

Q. Chay - I've noticed you do a lot of art for other rappers/musicians, is art another passion of yours? If so what got you into art? who are some of your favorite artist? 

A. Flex - Art's something I've always been in to as far back as I can remember. I've just always been attracted to anything where I'm able to be creative and I've been making art since I was a little kid. Some of my favorite artists are Marilyn Manson of course, Salvador DalĂ­, Frida Kahlo, Tim Burton, Sergio Garcia, Keith Haring, Andy Warhol, and Banksy.

Q. Chay - What are two albums, two movies, and two art pieces that you'll say has similarities to your music?

A. Flex - For albums, I'd say WWF Aggression & Limp Bizkit's Chocolate Starfish because they both incorporate rap & rock/metal like I do with my music. For movies, I'd say 8 Mile & Get Rich or Die Tryin' because they both show what the artists went through to get to where they are and I try to rap about my own struggle getting to where I want to be (in my more serious songs). For Art I'd say The Old Guitarist by Pablo Picasso because to me, it shows that no matter what you're feeling or going through music will always be there and I've always been one to keep pushing with my music no matter what's happening. I'd also choose this one piece by Marilyn Manson that kind of looks like a melting skull, I feel like that's a physical depiction of what my music sounds like. 

Q. Chay - Who are some of your favorite producers that are local? Who are you favorite producers you've worked with?

A. Flex - Even though they're technically not local I got to show love to my favs in Richmond: ItsGottii, Poozy, Sensei2400, SoundsBySoy, Yung Regret, and I'm probably forgetting. As for the 757 my favorites are probably Big Los and Memphis909. My favorite producers I've worked with directly are definitely Ghoulavelii/Big Bitter, Crimewave, BruhManeGod, Craigslist/Chainsaw and Martyr Boy

Q. Chay - Why should people care about Yung Flex? Why should people click the link to your music?

A. Flex - I feel like I bring an element to rap music that's rarely done correctly, and I make music for everyone whether you want something where I'm more serious or just having fun and saying whatever. I think it's easy for anyone to get into my music.

Q. Chay - Lastly, when is Pitmode dropping?

A. Flex - I don't have a concrete date yet, but it's definitely soon. It's about 98% done I want to make sure it sounds as good as possible. I feel like it's the best work I've done yet.

"SHOUTOUT TO CHAY, SHOUTOUT TO ALL MY BROTHERS IN DEATH CAMP, AND SHOUTOUT LOST APPEAL"

No comments:

Post a Comment